First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in a…watermelon?
My mom saw this idea on facebook a few days before she and I were throwing a baby shower for my sister. We decided to give it a try. I thought it turned out really cute! Here’s the easy schmeasy step by step.
1. Cut section of watermelon away, to form carriage shape.
2. Dig out inside of watermelon to make room for the “baby” and fruit blanket.
3. Fill with selection of fruit. We used sliced strawberries, blueberries, and grapes.
4. Slice an orange to create the wheels.
5. Attach wheels with toothpicks, using grapes or blueberries to create center of wheel spokes.
6. Create the baby face. Use toothpicks to attach grapes and blueberries to a peach, creating eyes and nose for the baby. Cut a hole to insert a pacifier in the peach. You may have to cut the pacifier as well, to get it to lay flat, and/or insert toothpicks in the holes of the pacifier to hold it in place. (The peach just wasn’t sucking on the pacifier enough to keep it in its mouth!)
Maybe because it’s early in the season, we could not find a very large watermelon. If a larger one is used, a cantaloupe with the rind removed can be used for the head, and a grapefruit can create the wheels.
7. Display at your baby shower for a fun and creative way to serve fruit!
My mother gets all the credit for this – for finding the idea, and for doing the carving and assembling. Nice job, Mom!
What did I do?
I carried a watermelon.